Common herbs & weeds
Acacia mearnsii (black wattle)
The bark is rich in tannins and so can be used in the many ways that astringents can be employed such as to treat diarrhoea and dysentery, to treat haemorrhoids, stop internal bleeding, bathe cuts and abrasions, as a mouthwash to tighten the teeth in the gums etc.
The bark of all Acacia species contains greater or lesser quantities of tannins and are astringent. Astringents are often used medicinally – taken internally, for example. they are used in the treatment of diarrhoea and dysentery, and can also be helpful in cases of internal bleeding. Applied externally, often as a wash, they are used to treat wounds and other skin problems, haemorrhoids, perspiring feet, some eye problems, as a mouth wash etc.
Many Acacia trees also yield greater or lesser quantities of a gum from the trunk and stems. This is sometimes taken internally in the treatment of diarrhoea and haemorrhoids
Anxiety Management Lavender essential oil can ease symptoms of anxiety, although how and why it helps is debated. Sleep Aid Studies have shown that inhaling essential oils — including lavender essential oil — may be a safe alternative to other medications for mild to moderate sleep disturbances. Wound Healing Using lavender essential oil can promote wound healing. It speeds up the rate of healing, increases the expression of collagen — which keeps your skin elastic and your joints healthy — and enhances the activity of proteins involved in rebuilding tissue.
Comfrey is considered an important herb in traditional folk medicine, long used in poultices proven helpful for bruises, sprains, muscle tears, and to help heal broken bones. To craft a drawing salve for infections, splinters, or lesions, add powdered marshmallow root or slippery elm to a comfrey-based salve or ointment.
SALVE: A simple drawing salve only requires about 3 cups of freshly cut and finely chopped comfrey and 1 cup of extra virgin coconut oil. Mix comfrey and coconut oil in a double boiler and simmer over low heat to extract the healing essential oils.
Remove the oil mixture from the heat and strain through cheesecloth into a glass measuring cup with a spout. Add two tablespoons of chopped beeswax to the mixture to achieve a salve with a firm consistency. Stir to blend and melt the wax. Pour the mixture into sterile, small glass jars. If you use dark-colored glass jars with sealable lids, the antiseptic ointment will store well for several years.
Fresh comfrey steeped in coconut oil is an excellent base for a diverse array of homemade salves and ointments that offer natural relief from burns, abrasions, insect bites, and chaffing. Experiment with the addition of freshly cut flowers and leaves of your favourite medicinal herbs.
A salve combining peppermint essential oil and comfrey provides relief from the burdensome pain of burning, aching feet and is especially helpful to persons suffering from diabetic neuropathy.
However, for homesteaders, one of the plant’s most useful qualities is its role in maintaining healthy permaculture systems. Every homestead should grow a plot of comfrey. Comfrey decomposes to create great moisture-holding mulch and the most nutrient-rich compost you can imagine. Comfrey also helps repel invasive predators that damage the homestead harvest. It’s a fact! Comfrey mulch, spread around the base of plants in the garden, is the best slug deterrent I have ever used.
Calendula (Calendula officinalis): for skin inflammation and bruises
1. Boost Wound Healing – Due to the antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, this herb has been used in preparations for insect bites, sunburns, rashes, and also other skin irritations. Due to its antibacterial qualities help deal with the minor infection that can occur along with wounds as well in order to ensure this healing process safe and effective.
2. Reduce Inflammation – No matter where the inflammation occurs, this herb can considerably reduce the discomfort. In case you suffer from congestion or a cough, you should drink a cup of calendula tea as a natural remedy. And in cases your joints become hurt because of arthritis or gout, you can apply some calendula oil to your skin balm to get a quick reduction in pain. Finally, in case your stomach is upset, this herb can help normalize the gastrointestinal system as well as eliminate any inflammation that causes discomfort.
It can be used for bee stings, psoriasis, and dermatitis due to the reaction of the anti-inflammatory properties in it. Moreover, herbalists also suggest applying calendula to gastric and duodenal ulcers because of these anti-inflammatory activities.
3. Reduce Infection – This herb is believed to have antiviral qualities that play a role in combating bacteria causing fever and infections. In addition, this herb is additionally used to deal with minor sunburns, bee stings, rash, skin rashes, and even snake bites in combination with its anti-inflammatory properties
4. Prevent Cancer – Calendula oil contains anti-tumor properties that are considered to be very valuable for the new research on cancer exploring natural solutions to this dangerous disease. In addition, the presence of specific flavonoids and antioxidants in Calendula herbal tea can stop the oxidation in along with irregular cell growth and development.
5. Improve Heart health
6. Aid In Digestion – In brief, you should drink calendula tea in order to maintain the healthy digestive organs. This herb tea can work deep inside the body treating upset stomach, bladder infections, and ulcers. Also, it helps prevent the risks of metabolic ailments, clean the digestive tract, and remove out any digestion related disorders.
7. Detoxify The Body – In addition, calendula is believed to decrease a sore throat and fever associated with common cold and other bacterial infections. And by consuming the tea of this herb, the body will be soaked up with food, particularly fatty food items and avoid the signs of heartburn as well.
8. Support Oral Health – And when mentioning to oral health, you may think about the conditions of the teeth and the breath which fortunately receive the support of calendula with its toothpaste and mouthwashes that are really beneficial in killing bacteria causing from gingivitis to cavities.
9. Improve Vision Health
10. Reduce Cramping
11. Regulate Menstruation – Can aid in reducing menstrual cramps, relieving breast tenderness, and reversing some certain symptoms associated with menopause. Moreover, this herb has been used to promote uterine contractions and, aid in delivering placenta after childbirth, and resolve aching nipples caused by nursing.
12. Treat Ear Pain – Make ear drops containing calendula, lavender, garlic, mullein, vitamin E, St. John’s wort or olive oil to give a significant enhancement in pain after 3 days if using. In addition, the patients who used ear drops alone experienced a better response than those who used both ear drops and amoxicillin in fact.
13. Prevent Muscle Spasm
14. Used For Radiation Therapy Dermatitis – As you know, radiation treatments for people with cancer can cause at the radiation site the pains, sores, and dermatitis in which calendula cream is often used to soothe the pains and heal these skin conditions. It is the reason why calendula cream is recommended for this type of specific application by homeopathic doctors.
15. Prevent Premature Aging
16. Prevent Sun Damage
17. Remove Stretch Marks
18. Cure Rashes