16oz Organic Beeswax – either white or yellow beeswax, I like this brand here.
• 1/2-3/4 cup Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil
• Organic Hemp Wick that are beeswax coated + Wick Sustainer Tabs. I used this bundle here.
• 4lb Pouring Pot. I used this one here.
• Mason Jars – I use various sizes from a variety pack.
• Glue gun – I use this one here.
• Wooden Stick – either a dowel, popsicle stick, pencil (anything narrow and longer than the opening of your jar).
- Glue the wick sustainer tab in the center of you mason jar.
- Place your dowel, popsicle stick, pencil (or something similar) across the top of your jar. I found with this particular wick I am using, it sticks very well to itself making it easy to wind around the dowel several times and let stay. If that doesn’t work, simply tie it.
- Melt the beeswax and coconut oil together in a double boiler
- Carefully pour the mixture into your mason jar and let harden. If the candles cool too quickly the wax might crack. To resolve this issue place your jars in a preheated oven at 150F.
- Once they have hardened you can add your own embellishments. I tied the rim of my candle jars with a hemp string and made a bow. These can be perfect for gifts and the holidays!
Beeswax candles are naturally scented with the aroma of honey. This is highly desirable for those who suffer with asthma or are allergic to sensitive smells. Pure beeswax candles emit little, if any, smoke when they burn – keeping your home cleaner and more comfortable. Besides the smoke, these candles burn with little or no wax drip making them last longer!
Yellow Beeswax is filtered for purity while the natural colour and aromas of honey are preserved.
White Beeswax is filtered for purity and the colour is removed by a natural carbon filtration to discolour the beeswax but still preserve the aroma. There are no additives or chemicals of any kind used in this process.
Recent studies suggest that burning beeswax candles can actually purify the air by releasing negative ions removing impurities from the air we breathe.
WHY COCONUT OIL?
Coconut oil is obtained via a natural process. Coconut wax burns slowly and cleanly, and throws scent extremely well. It unfortunately has been overlooked by the candle industry because it is more expensive per pound.
Wax can be quite difficult to remove from your dishes. A tip for clean up is to bring water to a boil, and put your utensils in the water. Use an old rag to wipe away the melted wax. Of course, be careful! Use tongs to remove your utensils from the hot water. To clean the bowl, preheat your oven to 200F, then turn it off and place the bowl inside. When the wax is completely melted it is easy to wipe away with an old rag too. After that, you can scrub with soap and water per usual.